Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 12


Another day in Tahdwata. Where english is spoken with all of the hard edges smoothed off.
Above is one of my favorite landmarks in Fox Hill. I've been told that the little lighthouse came first and the light keepers house later. 
Built sometime in the 1920's at one time there was a goldfish pond which has gone dry.  They have stood thru many a hurricane and have always been maintained meticulously.  Fox Hill and Grandview are across the river from Poquoson. At one time there was a pretty serious rivalry between them, as the young men from one would take night time boat rides into the others to woo the ladies. Much to the chagrin of the local boys.


Another land mark is Foot Wool. Most recently used as a sub spotting station during WWII before that it was a civil war station. Protecting the Hampton Roads has always been a high priority. I'm told you can take tours now, when I lived here I heard it was full of snakes. I think I will skip the tour.

Ft. Wool is just of shore from Ft Monroe. A beautiful civil war fort that was an active Army base up until just a few years ago. The city of Hampton has taken control of the entire complex and seems to have been overtaken by a serious case of crippling indecision as to what too do with it. With a few million dollars  and full control I betcha I could do Something, even if it's wrong. Before it decays beyond redemption.


Here ya go Terry, I found your old house.

And last but certainly not least on my list of Poquoson must do's, trackdown my best friends, adopted family, and longtime next door neighbors.
Sid and Loretta


God Bless you my friends, I will see you again before we leave. I know it took a long time to get home to you but its a really long commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment